The FRA eLibrary contains all the documents that are found throughout the FRA Public Website. Multiple pages on the website may link to the same eLibrary item based on its set of metatdata.
Can I find All FRA Documents in the Library?
Some "documents" may not appear here for the following reasons:
- Document resides on an external site for the record of source, links to the document are provided in context but not in the library as FRA does not maintain this record. This document lives on another website.
- Document has not yet been assigned keywords.
- Document is historical and has been removed from library to avoid confusion with current publications.
- Document is public affairs & policy related, such as press releases, speeches, testimony, or fact sheet. These press-related documents can now be found in the FRA Newsroom.
- Document is related to rules and notices. This information can now be found on the Rulemakings search and the Notices search, respectively.
Ballast Defects and Conditions—Importance of Identification and Repair in Preventing Development of Unsafe Combinations of Track Conditions
Keywords: Safety Advisories, Track, Ballast
Abstract: FRA is issuing this safety advisory to emphasize the importance of timely repairing ballast defects and conditions on main tracks. FRA notes that ballast defects and ballast...
Buckling-Prone Conditions in Continuous Welded Rail Track
Keywords: Continuous Welded Rail; CWR
Provides interested parties guidance on the proper application of existing statutory and regulatory requirements concerning self-propelled specialized maintenance equipment
Keywords: Facilities & Test Equipment; self propelled ; rail grinder ; derail ; on-track maintenance
Provides recommended practices for the testing, classification, and reuse of second-hand rail. The purpose of the safety advisory is to reduce the number of rail defects that occur when second-hand rail is used.
Keywords: broken rail ; NTSB ; precipitation of internal hydrogen
Addresses recommended safety practices and reviews existing requirements for the protection of roadway workers from traffic on adjacent tracks and to heighten awareness to prevent the inadvertent fouling of track when on-track safety is not provided
Keywords: Track; roadway worker rule; adjacent tracks; large-scale; controlled track