The FRA eLibrary contains all the documents that are found throughout the FRA Public Website. Multiple pages on the website may link to the same eLibrary item based on its set of metatdata.
Can I find All FRA Documents in the Library?
Some "documents" may not appear here for the following reasons:
- Document resides on an external site for the record of source, links to the document are provided in context but not in the library as FRA does not maintain this record. This document lives on another website.
- Document has not yet been assigned keywords.
- Document is historical and has been removed from library to avoid confusion with current publications.
- Document is public affairs & policy related, such as press releases, speeches, testimony, or fact sheet. These press-related documents can now be found in the FRA Newsroom.
- Document is related to rules and notices. This information can now be found on the Rulemakings search and the Notices search, respectively.
Framework for Wheel Life Model – Phase I
Keywords: Rolling contact fatigue, contact stress, crack growth, crack initiation, creep, fatigue strength, heat treatment, pearlite, wheel damage map, quenching, residual stress, S-660, shakedown, time-temperature-transformation, tread-braking
BNSF San Bernardino Case Study: Positive Train Control Risk Assessment
Keywords: Positive Train Control, Generalized Train Movement Simulator, I-ETMS, risk assessment, level splitting, engineering reliability metrics
Abstract: The Federal Railroad Administration funded the BNSF San Bernardino Case Study to verify its Generalized Train Movement Simulator (GTMS) risk assessment capabilities on a planned...
Evaluation of Wheel/Rail Contact Mechanics: Concepts Report
Keywords: Roller Rig, Wheel-Rail Contact Mechanics, Rail Vehicle Dynamics, Contact Patch Dynamics, Wheel Forces and Moments
Abstract: A need exists for a new test rig design with advanced sensing technologies that will allow the railroad industry and regulatory agencies to better understand the wheel-rail...
Construction Loads Experienced by Plastic Composite Ties
Keywords: Plastic tie, composite tie, tie insertion, tie nipping, bending loads
Abstract: Damage to plastic composite ties during handling and track installation has been reported by a number of railroads. Results from a survey conducted to identify specific handling...
Load Environment of Rail Joint Bars—Phase II Joint Bar Service Environment and Fatigue Analysis
Keywords: Strain levels, joint bar fatigue analysis, residual stress, joint bar strength
Abstract: Detailed analysis of measured bending strains shows that the foundation deflections have the most significant effect on the magnitude of strains. All other factors, such as track...