Reporting a Close Call
Who can report close calls?
Carrier and union employees covered by an active IMOU with FRA who observe a safety problem, or experience a close call event, and report that problem or event.
Eligible IMOUs include:
Kinds of close calls reported
- Events occurring frequently with low consequences
- Events occurring infrequently with the potential for high consequences
- Events below the FRA reporting threshold (if included in that carrier's IMOU)
What is NOT considered a close call?
- Events unrelated to railroad safety
- Urgent real-time issues (for example, a runaway train)
- Personal grievances
- Labor organization management grievances
How to report a close call
To view PDF files, you will need Adobe Reader®.