Consolidated Rail Infrastructure and Safety Improvements Program (FY 2017)
Overview: This program will fund projects that improve the safety, efficiency, and reliability of passenger and freight rail. Applications for the CRISI grant program are due by 5 p.m. EDT on June 21, 2018. See the FY 2017 Notice of Funding Opportunity for more information.
This program was authorized in Section 11301 of the Fixing America’s Surface Transportation (FAST) Act, Pub. L. 114-94 (2015); 49 U.S.C. § 24407. Funding under this program was made available by the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2017, Public Law No. 115-31, Division K, Title I.
Amount: $65,232,400, where:
- Projects totaling $56,933,567 were selected under the February 21, 2018 NOFO.
Projects eligible for funding under this grant program include:
- Deployment of railroad safety technology (PTC/rail integrity inspection systems)
- Capital projects
- Highway-rail grade crossing improvement projects
- Rail line relocation and improvement projects
- Regional rail and corridor service development plans and environmental analyses
- Any project necessary to enhance multimodal connections or facilitate service integration between rail service and other modes
- The development and implementation of a safety program or institute
(2) Group of States;
(3) Interstate Compact;
(4) Public agency or publicly chartered authority established by one or more States;
(5) Political subdivision of a State;
(6) Amtrak or another rail carrier that provides intercity rail passenger transportation;
(7) Class II railroad or Class III railroad;
(8) Any rail carrier or rail equipment manufacturer in partnership with at least one of the entities described in (1) through (5);
(9) Transportation Research Board together with any entity with which it contracts in the development of rail-related research, including cooperative research programs;
(10) University transportation center engaged in rail-related research; or
(11) Non-profit labor organization representing a class or craft of employees of rail carriers or rail carrier contractors.