Program Offices Overview
The Federal Railroad Administration’s mission is to enable the safe, reliable, and efficient movement of people and goods for a strong America, now and in the future.
FRA accomplishes this mission primarily through
- issuance, implementation, and enforcement of safety regulations,
- managing Federal investments in freight and passenger rail across the country, and
- research and technology development.
FRA’s $2.8 billion budget for fiscal year 2022 funded about 900 staff, safety and compliance activities, grant oversight and development, research and technology, and operating, capital, and debt service assistance to the National Railroad Passenger Corporation (Amtrak).
Today, FRA regulates approximately 800 railroads.
The FRA is composed of the following offices:
- Office of the Administrator
- Office of Railroad Safety
- Office of Chief Counsel
- Office of Administration
- Office of Railroad Development
- Office of Research, Data, and Innovation
- Office of the Chief Financial Officer