Magnetic Levitation Deployment Grants Program (FY 2019)
Overview: The purpose of the Magnetic Levitation (Maglev) Deployment Grants Program is to provide funding for preconstruction planning activities and capital costs of viable, existing Maglev projects. See the FY 2019 Notice of Funding Availability for more information.
Funding includes $10,000,000 (2019 Funds) as appropriated by the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2019, Div. G, Tit. I, Public Law 116-6 (2019) (2019 Appropriation) and an additional $14,027,500 (2008 Funds) as authorized by sections 1101(a)(18) and 1307 of the Safe, Accountable, Flexible, Efficient Transportation Equity Act: A Legacy for Users SAFETEA–LU, Public Law 109-59 (2005) (SAFETEA-LU), as amended by the SAFETEA-LU Technical Corrections Act of 2008, Public Law 110-244, Sec. 102 (2008) (23 U.S.C. 322 note) (Technical Corrections Act).
Eligible Maglev projects must:
(1) involve a segment or segments of a high-speed ground transportation corridor;
(2) result in an operating transportation facility that provides a revenue producing service;
(3) be approved by the Secretary based on an application submitted to the Secretary of Transportation by a state or authority designated by one or more states; and
(4) be an existing Maglev project in Pittsburgh, Baltimore-Washington, or Atlanta-Chattanooga for 2008 Funds.
Note: Only the Pittsburgh, Baltimore-Washington, and Atlanta-Chattanooga projects are eligible for the full $24,027,500 available under this notice from the remaining 2008 Funds ($14,027,500) and the 2019 Funds ($10,000,000). Applicants with otherwise eligible Maglev projects may apply only for the $10,000,000 in 2019 Funds available under this notice.
Eligible project costs:
(1) the capital cost of the fixed guideway infrastructure of a Maglev project including land, piers, guideways, propulsion equipment and other components attached to guideways, power distribution facilities (including substations), control and communications facilities, access roads, and storage, repair, and maintenance facilities and
(2) preconstruction planning activities. Eligible project costs exclude new stations and rolling stock, as well as costs incurred solely for land acquisition pursuant to securing operation right-of-way.
- Authority designated by one or more states