Restoration and Enhancement Grant Program
Overview: This program funds operating assistance grants for initiating, restoring, or enhancing intercity passenger rail transportation.
This program was authorized in Section 11303 of the Fixing America’s Surface Transportation (FAST) Act, Pub. L. No. 114-94 (2015); codified at 49 U.S.C. § 22908. Funding for the FY 2018-2020 program was made available by the Further Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2020 (2020 Appropriation), Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2019, Div. G, Tit. I, Public Law 116-6 (2019 Appropriation), Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2018, Div. L, Tit. I, Public Law 115-141 (2018 Appropriation), and Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2017, Div. K, Tit. I, Public Law 115-31 (2017 Appropriation).
FY 2018-2020 Funding Available for Award: $26,337,600
- Projects totaling $22,414,816 were selected
Projects eligible for funding under this grant program include:
- additional frequency of current service
- offering new on-board services
- establishing new service
- extension of current service
- restoration of previously operated service
Expenses eligible for FY 2018-2020 funding must be for operating assistance to initiate, restore, or enhance intercity rail passenger transportation. Examples of such expenses may include: staffing costs for train engineers, conductors, on-board service crew; diesel fuel or electricity costs associated with train propulsion power; station costs such as ticket sales, customer information and train dispatching services, station building utility and maintenance costs; lease payments on rolling stock; routine planned maintenance costs of equipment and train cleaning; host railroad costs; train yard operation costs; general and administrative costs; and management, marketing, sales, and reservations costs.
(1) a State (including the District of Columbia);
(2) a group of States;
(3) an Interstate Compact;
(4) a public agency or publicly chartered authority established by one or more States;
(5) a political subdivision of a State;
(6) Amtrak or another Rail Carrier that provides Intercity Rail Passenger Transportation;
(7) any Rail Carrier in partnership with at least one of the entities described in (1) through (5); and
(8) any combination of the entities described in (1) through (7).
- FY 2018–2019 Notice of Funding Opportunity
- FY 2018-2019 Notice of Funding Opportunity amendment (adding FY 2020 Appropriation)
- FRA Answers to Frequently Asked Questions about Pre-Award Authority
Previous Funding Rounds:
This program was authorized in Section 11303 of the FAST Act, Pub. L. No. 114-94 (2015); 49 U.S.C. § 24408. Funding under this program was made available by the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2017, Pub. L. No. 115-31, Division K, Title I and the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2018, Pub. L. 115-141, Division L, Title I.
Funding Available for Award: $4,796,500
- Project totaling $4,360,000 selected