Federal-State Partnership for Intercity Passenger Rail Grant Program
Overview: This program provides funding for capital projects that reduce the state of good repair backlog, improve performance, or expand or establish new intercity passenger rail service, including privately operated intercity passenger rail service, if an eligible applicant is involved.
For projects not located on the Northeast Corridor (FSP-National):
- Funding Available for Award: $2,283,150,000
- FY 2022 Federal-State Partnership for Intercity Passenger Rail (FSP-National) Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO)
- Applications are due no later than 5:00 p.m. ET, March 7, 2023
- To view presentation materials from the December 15, 2022, FY2022 Federal-State Partnership for Intercity Passenger Rail Grant Program (FSP-National) Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) Webinar, visit FRA's Webinars webpage.
For projects located on the Northeast Corridor (FSP-NEC):
- Funding Available for Award: $8,979,150,000
- FY 2022–2023 Federal-State Partnership for Intercity Passenger Rail (FSP-NEC) Notice of Funding Opportunity
- Applications are due no later than 5:00 p.m. ET, March 27, 2023
- Register for the January 12, 2023, FY2022-2023 FSP-NEC NOFO Webinar
Register for Federal-State Partnership Program Information Sessions (FSP-National and FSP-NEC NOFOs):
- Fed-State Partnership Information Session #1: Eligibility - January 19, 2023
- Fed-State Partnership Information Session #2: Major Capital Projects - January 26, 2023
- Fed-State Partnership Information Session #3: Project Narrative and Statement of Work - February 7, 2023
Legislative Authority: This program was authorized in Sections 22106 and 22307 of the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act (Pub. L. No. 117-58, November 15, 2020 (IIJA)); 49 U.S.C. § 24911. Funding under the FY 2022 NOFO was made available by Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2022, Div. L Tit. I, Public Law 117-03 (March 15, 2022) (2022 Appropriation), and Division J of the IIJA.
- A project to replace, rehabilitate, or repair infrastructure, equipment, or a facility used for providing intercity passenger rail service to bring such assets into a state of good repair
- A project to improve intercity passenger rail service performance, including reduced trip times, increased train frequencies, higher operating speeds, improved reliability, expanded capacity, reduced congestion, electrification, and other improvements, as determined by the Secretary
- A project to expand or establish new intercity passenger rail service
- A group of related projects as described above
- The planning, environmental review, and final design of an eligible project or group of projects described above
Projects located on the Northeast Corridor (NEC) must be identified in FRA's NEC Project Inventory, published on November 15, 2022, to be selected for an award. The NEC Project Inventory Interactive Tool also displays projects identified in the NEC Project Inventory.
- States, including the District of Columbia
- A group of States
- An Interstate Compact
- A public agency or publicly chartered authority established by one or more States
- A political subdivision of a State
- Amtrak, acting on its own behalf or under a cooperative agreement with one or more States
- A federally recognized Indian Tribe
- Any combination of the entities described above