FRA administers a safety program that oversees the movement of hazardous materials throughout the Nation’s rail transportation system, including international shipments transported to and from the United States. The terms “hazardous materials” and “dangerous goods” include energy products, chemicals, hazardous wastes, and radioactive materials. FRA also oversees the movement of packages marked to indicate compliance with a Federal or international hazardous materials standard, even if the packages do not contain a hazardous material.
FRA’s safety program includes the following activities:
- Providing direction and guidance regarding hazardous materials safety and security enforcement, including inspections and audits.
- Coordinating efforts with industry to eliminate non-accident releases of hazardous materials in rail transportation.
- Coordinating hazardous materials safety and security programs with other DOT operating administrations, state and local organizations, and industry stakeholder groups.
- Participating with industry and professional organizations to establish voluntary standards related to the reliability, safety, and serviceability of bulk packages used for the transportation of hazardous materials by rail.
- 171-General information, regulations, and definitions:
- 172-Hazardous materials table, special provisions, hazardous materials communications, emergency response information, and training requirements
- 173-Shippers-general requirements for shipments and packagings
- 174-Carriage by rail
- 178-Specifications for packagings
- 179-Specifications for tank cars
- 180-Continuing qualification and maintenance of packagings
- Civil Penalties
- Compliance Manual
- Emergency Orders
- Hazardous Materials Guidance (HMG 101-127)
- Letter to BNSF: FRA Authority to Regulate Dual-Fuel Locomotives and Fuel Tenders
- Maximizing Size and Weight: A White Paper for Tank Cars greater than 263k
- NAFTA: Hazardous Materials Standard Related Measures
- National Hazardous Materials AudiIts
- Obtaining FRA Approval for Testing Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) and Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) Locomotives and Tenders
- Operating Certain Railroad Tank Cars in Excess of 263,000 Pounds Gross Rail Load; Approval
- Radioactive Waste and Spent Nuclear Fuel Transportation Safety
- Safety Advisories
- Safety Coordination and Compliance Oversight Plan for Rail Transportation of High-Level Radioactive Waste and Spent-Nuclear Fuel
- Safe Placement of Train Cars: A Report
Use of Dedicated Trains for Transportation of High-Level Radioactive Waste and Spent Nuclear Fuel