Interstate Rail Compact Grant Program
Overview: New under the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, this program provides financial assistance to entities implementing interstate rail compacts pursuant to section 410 of the Amtrak Reform and Accountability Act of 1997. More information will become available once the Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) is announced.
FRA published a Request for Information in the Federal Register to solicit input from stakeholders about implementing the Interstate Rail Compact Grant Program. Stakeholders may submit comments to the Request for Information to the Federal Register until 5 p.m. ET, September 19, 2022.
Visit our FRA Webinars webpage, under Grants & Loans, to view the following training and guidance materials:
- Interstate Rail Compact Grant Program Webinar – June 16, 2022
- Interstate Rail Compact Grant Program Listening Session – September 8, 2022
Legislative Authority: This program was authorized in section 410 of the Amtrak Reform and Accountability Act of 1997 (49 U.S.C. 24101 note). Funding under the FY 2022 NOFO was made available by the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, 2021 (Pub. L. No. 116-260, November 15, 2021).
Funding Available for Award Under FY 2022 NOFO: To be announced.
- Costs of administration
- Systems planning, including studying the impacts of freight rail operations and ridership
- Promotion of intercity passenger rail operation
- Preparation of applications for competitive Federal grant programs
- Operations coordination
- An existing entity (e.g., a commission) established by member states to implement an interstate rail compact.