Interstate Rail Compacts Grant Program
Overview: New under the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, this program provides financial assistance to entities implementing interstate rail compacts pursuant to section 410 of the Amtrak Reform and Accountability Act of 1997. The purpose of the program is to improve, promote, and develop intercity passenger rail service, including activities related to the financing of such service, and to encourage multi-state grant applications. Applications are due no later than 5:00 p.m. ET, July 10, 2023. See the FY22-23 Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) for more information.
The following training and guidance materials related to the Interstate Rail Compacts Grant Program are available on the FRA Webinars webpage, under Grants & Loans:
- Interstate Rail Compact Grant Program Webinar – June 16, 2022
- Interstate Rail Compact Grant Program Listening Session – September 8, 2022
- Interstate Rail Compact Grant Program NOFO Webinar – May 24, 2023
Legislative Authority: This program was authorized in section 410 of the Amtrak Reform and Accountability Act of 1997 (49 U.S.C. 24101 note). Funding under the FY 2022 NOFO was made available by the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, 2021 (Pub. L. No. 116-260, November 15, 2021).
Funding Available for Award Under FY22-23 NOFO: $5,815,800
- Costs of administration
- Systems planning, including studying the impacts of freight rail operations and ridership
- Promotion of intercity passenger rail operation
- Preparation of applications for competitive Federal grant programs
- Operations coordination
- An existing entity (e.g., a commission) established by member states to implement an interstate rail compact.