Wayside Advanced Technology Systems (WATS)
The FRA’s goal in supporting wayside detector systems has been to promote improved safety and performance through the appropriate and optimal application of automated inspection technologies to detect vehicle component defects and precursors to safety critical defects in railroad rolling stock. Other long-term goals of FRA include the identification of key enabling technologies for automated vehicle inspection and to maintain an awareness of the current state and future potential for advancements, which may be valuable to the railroad industry.
Wayside technology promotes rail safety and performance through appropriate and optimal application of automated inspection technology to detect defects and precursors to safety critical defects in railway rolling stock.
- Promote improved railroad safety and performance
- Identify appropriate and optimal application of automated inspection technologies
- Partner with various stakeholders to quantify and validate wayside detection systems
- Enhances/supplements existing manual inspection procedures to facilitate early detection of rail defects
- Reduces the number of incidents and accidents caused by rolling stock equipment and component failures by detecting degradation in performance of equipment