FRA Recommended Trainings & Environmental Resources
This page contains links to recorded webinars, trainings, and other resources that will be of assistance in preparing National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) documents for rail projects.
These resources below include instructional and educational videos, presentations from past Rail Program Delivery Conferences. The links provide oversight guidance (Monitoring Procedures), FRA reports and guidance documents, and related website links. Click on the Rail Network Development topics below to explore the content:
The resources linked below are often utilized by environmental staff and are referenced often on FRA's environmental webpages. These resource links will be updated periodically.
FRA Internal Environmental Weblinks
- (23 CFR Parts 771 and 774) Environmental Impact and Related Procedures, and, Parks, Recreation Areas, Wildlife and Waterfowl Refuges, and Historic Sites (Section 4(f)) effective on November 28, 2018
- FRA’s Procedures for Considering Environmental Impacts (64 Federal Register [FR] 28545, May 26, 1999)
- Section 106 Program Comment for Rail Rights-of-Way and exempted activities list
- Human & Natural Environment
- FRA Noise and Vibration
- Hazardous Materials
- National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) of 1969
- Final Rule: Update to the Regulations Implementing the Procedural Provisions of the National Environmental Policy Act, July 15, 2020
- Regulations for Implementing the Procedural Provisions of NEPA (40 CFR Parts 1500–1508), Pre-July, 2020
- Council on Environmental Quality (CEQ) NEPA Guidance
- CEQ 40 Questions presents forty of the most frequently asked questions concerning NEPA regulations, Pre-July, 2020
- Fixing America’s Surface Transportation Act (FAST Act) (P.L. 114-94)
- Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act (MAP-21) (P.L. 112-141)
- One Federal Decision Executive Order (E.O.) 13807, Establishing Discipline and Accountability in the Environmental Review and Permitting Process for Infrastructure Projects, issued on August 15, 2017
- One Federal Decision Memorandum of Understanding issued on April 9, 2018
- Executive Order 13927, Accelerating the Nation's Economic Recovery From the COVID-19 Emergency by Expediting Infrastructure Investments and Other Activities, was issued on June 4, 2020.
- Permitting Dashboard for Federal Infrastructure Projects
- The Red Book is used as “how to” for synchronizing NEPA reviews for transportation and infrastructure projects with federal regulatory agencies. This document was developed by FRA, FTA, FHWA the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
- NEPA Re-Evaluation Joint Guidance Issued on August 14, 2019 by FRA, FHWA and FTA
- Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) Provides Resources to Facilitate Virtual Public Involvement:
- As part of its Every Day Counts initiative to promote innovation, FHWA developed a set of resources related to virtual public involvement (VPI). These VPI resources aim to help agencies facilitate community engagement using different technologies. Public involvement is a critical component to transportation decision-making that enhances project planning and delivery. However, face-to-face meetings are not always possible due to time constraints, travel restrictions, inaccessible locations, and other challenges. Innovative VPI tools such as online surveys, mobile applications, dashboards, and virtual town halls are effective alternatives that ensure timely and robust public input. FHWA developed fact sheets and hosted a webinar series to highlight successful VPI techniques used by States and local agencies.
- Webinar Recording – Effective Practices for Converting In-person Meetings to Virtual Meetings
- Amtrak established the Great American Stations Project in 2006 to educate communities on the benefits of redeveloping train stations, offer tools to community leaders to preserve their stations, and provide the appropriate Amtrak resources.
- FHWA’s environmental toolkit has environmental topics and tutorials relating to NEPA and human and natural environmental impacts from transportation projects.
- Americans with Disabilities Act
- Title VI of the Civil Rights Act
- NEPAssist is a mapping tool developed by the EPA that helps facilitate the environmental review process and project planning, in relation to environmental considerations. This web-based tool draws environmental data features into a user-defined project map, assisting FRA project sponsors and applicants with identifying environmental resources within their project area. These environmental data features may include a high-level snapshot of demographics/environmental justice populations, air quality, wetlands, floodplains and critical habitat and documentation.
- Environmental Justice (EJ) EO 12898 - FRA and Project Sponsors rely on the U.S. DOT Environmental Justice Website that includes information on environmental justice history, policy documents, FAQ's, case studies, training, and updated resources for consideration of EJ populations during project development.
- Advisory Council on Historic Preservation (ACHP) ensures federal agencies including FRA implement their work in harmony with the National Historic Preservation Act (Section 106).
- FHWA’s Section 4(f) Policy Paper contains Questions and Answers on the Application of Section 4(f) De Minimis Impact Criteria
- Railroad Noise Emissions Compliance Regulation and Train Horn Rule
- The Uniform Act
- The Clean Air Act
- The Clean Water Act
- EPA’s list of Clean Water Act policy and technical guidance documents
- Comprehensive standards for compensatory mitigation
- Executive Order 11988, Floodplain Management
- The FEMA Flood Map Service Center contains products used to identify the presence of floodplains.
- Wild and Scenic Rivers Act
- The Rivers and Harbor Act of 1899
- Coastal Zone Management Act
- Section 6(f) - Land and Water Conservation Fund Act
- The Endangered Species Act
- Migratory Bird Treaty Act
- Marine Mammal Protection Act
- Fish and Wildlife Coordination Act
- Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act
- Farmland Protection Policy Act
- Resource Conservation and Recovery Act